Thursday, December 11, 2014

A Semester Monitoring 7-Branch Creek

This semester I focused my area of study on the Upper Chattahoochee watershed. The specific stream I concentrated on was a tributary to the Chattahoochee River behind my apartment complex, 7 Branch Creek. Prior to data collection, I conducted a general ecology survey. This general ecology survey addressed the botanical biodiversity surrounding the stream I monitored. I listed the species per strata, i.e. canopy, midstory, and vine/herb layer in a 30 x 30 ft. survey area adjacent to my water quality monitoring location. After I recorded my general ecology information, I then assessed the stream for its specific designation in regards to the type of stream it is (perennial, intermittent, or ephemeral).  This was done with the North Carolina Department of Water Quality 4.11 Form. After I gained my general information about the site, I proceeded with my water quality monitoring.

Methodologies for monitoring were based off of monitoring conditions for mitigation/restoration sites in NE Georgia.With input from aquatic ecologists, wildlife biologists, and environmental scientists, a set of comparable parameters to be monitored were agreed upon for these areas. Parameters monitored were pH, dissolved oxygen, temperature, and conductivity. These readings were taken out of the 7 Branch Creek, a tributary to the Chattahoochee watershed. Monitoring data for the Chattahoochee River was taken from USGS water quality monitoring stations that are set up across the Upper Chattahoochee watershed to gain a better perspective of the overall conditions of the Chattahoochee River and compare the monitoring data with the condition of the tributary (7 Branch Creek) to determine the water quality of the tributaries input into the Upper Chattahoochee Watershed system. Rainfall data and calibration records for the Water Quality Sonde were recorded every time a sample was taken (sonde calibration is valid for 30 days from calibration date). Samples were taken with the water quality sonde either once or twice a month, typically on Sunday afternoons, depending on equipment availability. Calibration for the YSI Model 556 multi-probe water quality sonde was updated every 30 days.

This semester has been a great opportunity for me in broadening my experience and technical knowledge. Analyzing and interpreting the data over the course of several months allowed me to paint a picture of the watershed health in regards to the tributary’s contributions to the Chattahoochee River. These comparisons reveal the health of the tributary, 7 Branch Creek, in correlation to the Chattahoochee River. I found differences in temperature, dissolved oxygen, pH, and conductivity (see presentation for specific results). The differences in water quality of the monitored reach can be attributed to several different factors including runoff, urbanization influences surrounding the stream, leaf litter increase from changing seasons, reduced vegetative cover, point source pollution areas, and exposed water/sewer lines within the tributary. Overall, this course has allowed me to growth professionally in experience and knowledge, ranging from technical, field, and conceptual types of information.  I wish to continue to monitor 7 Branch Creek as long as I am living in the same complex to compare conditions of water quality and assess the health of 7 Branch Creek over the course of a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment